Sunday, July 1, 2012

Empire Grove

So, here I am rocking in my chair in my camp (Comfort Cottage) at Empire Grove. Being here is like coming home. God has wrapped me up in his loving arms and said "welcome back, I've missed you."

This has always been a special place for me. I have been coming here every year for 33 years. I come for every camp meeting, and whenever I can get here besides. I'll admit I haven't been here as much in the past few years outside of camp meeting, but this summer I am trying to change that.

The closer I get to the Grove, the more aware I become of the tension I have been carrying. The sorrow, anger, resentments, worries all become clearer. Not worse, not more intense, just clearer as to how much I've been carrying them and for how long. However, as soon as I see that sign coming up on my left, I turn off the music and roll down my windows (it helps when it is a nice day) and take my first deep breath of heaven. And you know what? My mind automatically quiets, my spirit is soothed and lifted. This is the only place on earth for me, it is surely magical here. My second family awaits me, to hold me in their arms, listen, laugh, cry and pray for me. Or just sit quietly out on a porch and swat mosquitos while watching the world go slowly by.

Time does not seem to move in the same way here at the Grove. It simultaneously moves slower and faster than the outside world. I have stepped back in time. I do not have access to tv shows, (I do have a tv/DVD player for movies) I do not have running water (used to have seasonal water but the pump died so we go without) or a bathroom (does a chemical toilet really count?) but have to walk to the bathrooms when in need of a toilet and/or shower. There is a washing machine but only a community line to dry from. Our children really do become "our children" here. We look out for and take care of everyone. This is a closed little community and as such, Will has the freedom to come and go as he pleases (as long as he lets me know where he's going- generally speaking) it also means that I can come and go as I please to an extent as well. Ahhh, the freedom that presents. As he has grown that freedom is expanding. The last 3 years have been hard here with Will because he was struggling, however this year he is much more apt to want to be outside and playing with his friend and being separated from me for periods of time so that I can visit with these wonderful people I call my family through God. It feels pretty miraculous this year to be here. And much more the sanctuary it has always been for me.

Part of me wishes I could afford to move here and always live in this blessed space. I truly feel that one day I will do just that, but for now I believe it is best served as the sanctuary and balm to my bruised and weary soul that it is. I will be spending as much of my summer here as is possible this year and call myself unusually blessed to have found such a place in earth that speaks to me so clearly and strongly. I truly feel closer to my God here and thank him for giving me this place to heal, replenish and pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment