Sunday, July 8, 2012

Jeans anyone?

So my son has not worn jeans, khakis, polo shirts or button down shirts in at least 6 years. This is a VERY common theme with ASD kids. The sensitivity to fabrics and/or tags. I was cutting tags out for years until the tag less shirts etc became so popular. God bless tag less clothes!

My son has been wearing jersey shorts in the summer and sweatpants in the winter and pullover t-shirts long and short sleeve (depending on weather) for as long as I can remember. I have gotten all manner of looks and comments from family, friends and even strangers for his dress choices- especially when we are at a more "dressy" function.

It's amazing the judgments people can and often will make about my parenting and the rest of us who raise our oh-so-special children.

Anyway, back on topic Emily! So, as I was saying, my soon-to-be-ex and I had a discussion about introducing new articles of clothing while W was in Spring Harbor but neither one of us did a thing about it. Since he's been home he wears the same old clothes he's always worn with the exception of a button down shirt to a funeral (a HUGe milestone!). But the pants remain the same.

Needless to say, by little boy is quickly becoming my very big boy. His shorts from last summer don't fit anymore. In fact they look a LOT like hot pants these days. (amusing to me, but quite uncomfortable for him as well as embarrassing in public). So I went shopping, praying to find the "right kind of shorts". I was lucky and found several. I also found a great deal on some jean shorts. I bought 2 pairs, and kept the receipt knowing they would be returned shortly. Boy was I surprised! Today he put them on without a comment. OMGoodness!!! I can't use enough exclamation points on this one people. It was amazing. I hope this will open us up to a more varied wardrobe. If not, that's ok too. Wearing these shorts once in a while is more than I have dreamed of in a VERY long time. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment