Tuesday, July 17, 2012

State Health Insurance

Yesterday I was driving from one of my homes to another (no, I don't own multiple homes... I work with adults with developmental disabilities in THEIR homes) when my phone started to ring. I answered it wholly unprepared for what this one phone call would start. The person calling was the clinician giving services to my son. She comes over twice a week with a BHP and they work with my son on frustration tolerance, better choices of how to handle his anger and frustration, etc. She was calling to ask me about my sons MaineCare acct. (MaineCare is the state equivalent to Medicaid). See, we don't qualify for state insurance except through the Katie Beckett program which is for kids with all kinds of disabilities. Under Katie Beckett we qualify in spades. In the 3 years he's had it there has never been a question as to his eligibility. But because it's Katie Beckett I have to pay for the insurance. No big deal, really. When I had a husband (technically still not divorced. But very very soon!) we were paying $25 a month, now that I live on my own with our son I'm paying $14 a month. So you see, it isn't the end of the world. I only mention the money piece because I have paid through July!

Now the reason I told you about paying through July is that because of my phone call I had to make some calls about my sons insurance and wouldn't you know it? They cancelled his insurance at the end of June. So here I am sitting in a waiting room for the last 45 minutes with no end in sight at DHHS so I can straighten all this out.

I have a feeling that it was our financial review as the medical review has been done and we have been approved.

And I was right, just talked to a woman on the phone who confirmed it is the financial review that is needed. She will bring it down to me and I will take it and fill it out today as well as compile all the information that is needed so I can drop it back off at DHHS and then the waiting will begin for my son to be reinstated. Sigh..... I hate dealing with insurance. Why do they make it so very difficult?

No comments:

Post a Comment