Saturday, July 14, 2012

Got to beat this heat

The last few days have been rough for me. During the heat I have mowed my lawn, cleaned Wills therapy room (formerly known as my dining room) - took 3 hours of hard work and 3 trash bags full of trash. On top of that I have cleaned up around the rest of the house, done 3 loads of laundry, the dishes and a multitude of little things that always need to be done around the house.

Anyway, as anyone with MS knows that the heat is not our friend. Not only does it sap only strength all on its own, but when I add other activities that are strenuous it can be very detrimental. In fact, I am not supposed to even mow
the lawn at all because it makes me ill.

So why do I mow the lawn? Because I am now a single mom and home owner. I can't afford to pay anyone to mow for me, and my ex ( who is at my house watching our son 4 days a week, and promised to help for Wills sake) doesn't help out with that. He has since changes his mind about helping since he doesn't live here anymore. Oh well, I guess I can't complain about that as he's right he doesn't live here anymore. Would I like the help? Of course! However, I'm not good at asking and/or accepting help especially when he has never done a good job and it frustrates me to have to go back as redo what wasn't done well in the first place.

Sorry, let's get back on track. So all this heat and added activities have not been good on my feelings of well-being. I am feeling nauseous, extreme fatigue- to the point of spending hours on my couch unable to open my eyes or speak without slurring my words, my whole body is achy and I have a very small appetite (should be happy about this, but from past experience it never ends in me losing weight in a healthy long term way) and I end up not drinking enough water. I mean, I can go all day without drinking water. I'm not proud of it, and I know that it's exacerbating my symptoms but I just can't seem to make myself drink like I should.

So, what do I do to beat this heat? Well, this is what I'm doing tonight- I'm sleeping with the air conditioner on high, I'm forcing myself to drink some water and taking a cooling shower before going to bed early. And I will be using my cold marble stones on my neck and face to help cool down as well.

What I should have done this week- re-evaluated doing some of these strenuous activities. Did they REALLY need to be done or could they have waited? I could have gotten more sleep, had much more to drink then I did. And stay as cool and stress free as possible.

Hope I make better decisions next time around. How do you beat the heat? Or are you one of those people who thrive on the heat?

1 comment:

  1. As a lawn care professional, I can tell you it's not good to mow your lawn in these temperatures. It's actually better to let it get a little long, and then mow it when it's cooler. Think of your lawn for Gods sake! How could you be so selfish!?! ;-)

    I also think your lawn feels better when you sit on it (in the shade of course) with a blender full of something icy and a good trashy novel. Ya, think of your lawn.

    ReplyDelete