Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Children's songs and nursery rhymes

Today was another really hot day. I spent the first half in the house cleaning. Partly because I needed to and partly because my parents are coming over in Friday to have a small BBQ for my sons birthday which was yesterday. OMGoodness my beautiful baby boy is now 10 years old. He is no longer a baby and has hit double digits.

Anyway, after picking him up from school at noon we came home and I let him spend some time playing his new wii game he got the night before. As the day wore on though I could stand the heat no longer. I declared the wii to be turned off, swimsuit donned and floats grabbed. We headed off to the pool. (and by pool I mean one of those 8ft round quickset pools) we had so much fun. More interaction than usual. We talked and laughed, splashed and wrestled. The best part was when he was pretending to be a baby asleep and I sang Rock-A-Bye-Baby to him.

This prompted quite the discussion about children songs and nursery rhymes. Some of them are funny, like Georgie Porgie. Some are just straight out frightening. Like Rock-A-Bye. I mean who wants to be sung to about having your cradle fall from a tree? How is that supposed to make you feel safe? Or Little Miss Muffet, spiders are scary to most people. So why would we want to enforce that thought by telling kids a spider scared the living daylights out of poor Miss Muffet? But then tell them about the cute spider who crawled up the water spout? Make up your minds people!

My son laughed so hard he started drooling (low muscle tone in face causes him to still drool when overexcited about things). I would sing a song or say a nursery rhyme and he would laugh and point out why it was silly or strange. I was so impressed he could pick up on these things and it made for quite the delightful conversation as I got a little insight as to how that fascinating brain of his works.

Picture is from A Light In The Attic by Shel Silverstein. I always loved his version of this classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment