Thursday, July 12, 2012

Aspie vs boy

As time goes by I'm having a harder and harder time distinguishing my sons behaviors. Are they aspie traits? Or is this what all little boys do?

Ever since we got the diagnosis I think I have used it to explain everything h away. I justified this because my son was not a "typical" boy. He had no interest in anything I would think of as boy stuff. In fact for the last couple of years he was adamant he was a girl. He has since told me in the last couple months that he is definitely a boy.

Do other parents do this? I had to bring Will to my office a few weeks ago. I needed to talk to my manager about work stuff. Will ended up in someone's office showing them his game on his DS. He explained the intricacies of the game. The next day my coworker said she enjoyed missing Will. I said something about his obsessive aspie trait with all things electronic. She responded with: "sounds just like a boy to me."

Huh, it does doesn't it. How often do I explain to myself and others behaviors as aspie when it most likely a boy being a boy.

I have a feeling I'm too quick to jump on the aspie train and not quick enough to realize that I have a boy, and boys will be boys.

Am I the only parent who has done this? Does it really matter if I can't tell the difference sometimes?

No comments:

Post a Comment