Wednesday, July 4, 2012

I feel a rant coming on....

I love what I do for work (well, most of the time). I have spent a month turning myself and my schedule inside out trying to make the schedule work at all 3 programs I work in. See, my manager has happily handed over the scheduling for all 3 to me. I have been doing the schedule for the last year. Sometimes it's ok - like when no one wants time off and we are fully staffed - and other times it's a nightmare. Well, it's been a nightmare for over a month straight. We are no longer allowed to use any overtime. So finding coverage for vacations has become a much more frustrating, impossible and overwhelming ordeal.

I have been covering shifts every week and tweaking my regular hours to minimize the overtime. Well, I have had a call out for this afternoon (that's right, on the 4th of July. Cause people are just lined up to work a holiday for a company that doesn't pay holiday pay- you smelled the sarcasm right?) well, I'm covering at said house this morning because day programs are closed and now I'm stuck here with mandatory overtime. Oh well, sucks to be me right? Well, it's not just me...I'm supposed to be at my regular Wednesday shift 3-11pm at another house. See where I'm going with this? Not only am I stuck here, my other staff is stuck at the other house on his time off. No one wants to cancel their plans and help out, so my coworker and I are stuck at our respective programs.

Ok, that wasn't the rant.....really? Yes really. That was just the set up for my rant. I'll try to keep it short and sweet. Here goes:

My soon to be ex came over to watch Will this morning, saw I was upset and said to me: there's no reason to get upset, it's nothing personal right? Well, it's ALWAYS personal to someone. The company changes a schedule- its unavoidable, it needed to be done, it's nothing personal. Ok, I get that it needed to be done, but it's personal for the people who now have to rearrange their schedules and make it work for them and their families. A company has to make budget cuts and can't afford for staff to eat the food at programs, but it's nothing personal. Really? Again, I get that budget cuts have to happen and the money has to come from somewhere, but it's personal to the people who were counting on those meals when at work because they can't afford to buy more food every week. A company has mandatory overtime because life happens and sometimes people don't show for a shift or call out. We can't leave our consumers alone can we? It's nothing personal. Well, it is personal for the person who has to work a double (or in my case a triple one time) and has to cancel important plans with family, friends, other jobs.

So yes, I take it personally when I and the people I work with get stuck with the unfair changes to their lives and schedules. I understand it's unavoidable, but it doesn't mean it's not personal. So why am I supposed to harden my heart and not care? It IS personal, and someone needs to acknowledge that and feel it so that it can be handled with as much compassion and understanding as possible.

There, I'm done now. Have a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment