Friday, July 6, 2012

My life with Autism is Different Now...

I have been spending a lot of time lately (between work-insanity, spending precious moments with my son, well, actually that's about it. No time for anything else) reading the blogs and posts of others who have ADS children. First let me say, my computer
Is down and might never get back up again so everything is being done by my smart phone---God bless smart phones. So I can't set up links to anyone, that and I'm technologically hopeless. But I do want to give shout outs to Autism Daddy, Bacon and Juice Boxes and Autism Mumma. There are more but I have to move on for now.

First let me say that each and every one of you bloggers out there who have children with autism are amazing and insightful people. I truly enjoy reading what you have to say. It helps me look at my situation in a different light, with new insights and understanding. And sometimes you just make me laugh when I need it most. So thank you for being you and sharing your journey with me.

Now on to the post. I realized while reading everyone that I have not posted a lot about my life with autism, at least not lately. My posts have been taken up with everything else going on in my life, none of which are MORE important than my son.

My life with autism is different now than it was 6 months ago, partly due to Spring Harbor, which was a blessing in our lives, but partly due to time. My son is very high functioning, he is delayed in motor skills- fine and gross, he has more sensory issues than you can shake a stick at (always wondered what that meant) and has a lot of aggressive tendencies. Meaning when the going gets tough for Will, the stuffing gets beat out of me, or his teachers. Now SH has helped with the aggressiveness, although its not gone. In fact I've seen an increase since school got out.

What does this mean in my life? Well, like a lot of you, it means a lot of planning. It means that I turn down invitations for things, or invite people over to my messy house instead for a more easily controlled environment. (I find that most people either decline to come or never even respond which can be disheartening, but that's the way the cookie crumbles)

It's all about the schedule, the routine, and the prep at my house. I'm sure most parents can agree those are key factors. I also try to find a balance with pushing Will out of his comfort zone (gently and slowly of course) to help him grow in what he will tolerate, and even enjoy. His dad recently took him to FunTown (local amusement park). I was so proud to hear he went on several rides including the Log Flume- granted that was only ONCE! But he did it and realized it could be fun in a terrifying kind of way.

I am lucky in that my son is able to be pushed sometimes, unlike a lot of ASD kids. The trick is to learn when and how far. When I make a mistake the ramifications can last for hours, days and even on one occasion weeks.

When things are good, my son is the sweetest boy I know. He hugs and kisses me, tells me he loves me and tells me I'm one of the best people he knows. We're having many more good days than bad since SH and for that I am grateful. As I write he is playing with his toys on his own (has always needed an adult to play with in the past, I know quite the twist on the typical ASD kid right?) waiting patiently for me to make him lunch.

So the child I have today is different from last year, and I can't wait to see who he will become in the future.....

No comments:

Post a Comment