Thursday, August 30, 2012

School shopping and Meltdowns

I took my son school shopping yesterday. It went very well, I bought the obligatory sweatpants (all he has worn for 3 years +) but I was able to sneak in a pair of jeans and a pair of cargo pants as well. Now we will see if he will wear them when the weather cools off enough. Just the fact I was able to buy them with Will with me is amazing to me, growth is possible people. Trust me, if Will can grow as much as he has I the last 6 months, almost anything is possible.

We also bought sneakers, I was getting frustrated because I couldn't find his size in the store, he became adamant about the style sneaker he wanted (they light up when he walks). I was so pleased that the last pair I spied were in his size. He willingly tried them on and announced they were perfect. He even put them on later that day when he went to play with the neighbor kids. This is huge as sneakers have been a major battle in this house. He loves his crocks and hates tying laces because it is so difficult for him. Every day last year was a battle of wills as he tried to convince me he could wear his crocks to school and I patiently explain that "this year the rule is you have to wear sneakers to school.". This is because he has OT at school and recess. He has tripped wearing crocks and has therefor refused to participate in recess as well as struggled in OT. We found once we implemented this rule he was more successful in OT as well as more active at recess.

We also picked up socks and undertheres as he badly needed both. We got the obligatory school supplies as well, the pencil case, the pencils, markers, crayons, glue sticks notebook and binder. He did so well at the store.

And then we came home......

The melt downs started. None of them lasted overly long, but there were a LOT of them. Everything set him off. Today has been no different. He did get to meet his new teachers last night at the open house and have ice cream. The new teacher in the day treatment room pointed out a third computer which interested Will, but the changes were many. Maybe too many? I don't know, only time will tell.

The start of school is definitely causing much anxiety for Will, and it doesn't help that his sleeping cycle has finally taken a dive. We have been in such a good sleeping pattern for so long I almost thought he had outgrown "the cycle". How foolish am I? I am so excited for the rest of my weekend.

On a completely unrelated note: tomorrow is my court date for my divorce. I'm hoping this is it and I can begin my life as a single woman. Here's hoping?

No comments:

Post a Comment