Monday, August 13, 2012

If not MS then what?

For the last three weeks I have been having increasing problems. Have you ever had restless leg syndrome? I never have but my father lives with it and has for years. It started with a "restless/creepy crawly" feeling in my legs. It was very unnerving and annoying. I looked up online and saw many references to MS and restless leg.

Well, over the weeks (and especially the last three days) it has gotten worse. Much worse. It's not a pain, but I feel like I'm losing my mind. I am constantly moving my legs and now my arms to get a modicum of relief from this feeling. I feel like this has to be how drug addicts feel when going through withdrawal. All the tv shows and movies show druggies screaming that it feels like bugs are crawling all over them. They want out of their skin.

This is how I feel. It is all day with the exception of a few minutes of respite in between every few hours. Last night I only slept fitfully (with a lot of tossing and turning) for about 5 hours. -I'm a 8-10 hour a night kind of gal.-

Part of the problem is my concentration is shot all to H-E-double hockey sticks. My son wants to play games and have me watch videos with him. I can only tolerate about 10 minutes tops then I'm feeling nauseous with my need to move.

While at work yesterday I figured out that tapping my leg helps me concentrate. I sat down and read my book for an hour and a half. When I looked up I was so pleased I had been able to concentrate for so long until I looked at my leg. I had slowly been hitting my leg harder and harder. I have a large purple bruise on my right leg.

This is when I realized I need to call my neurologist. When I did I found out he is on vacation. I talked to a nurse in the MS department, she made me feel foolish (maybe unintentionally) explaining my symptoms. She talked with a dr and called me back telling me it sounded like nothing MS related and sent me on my way to calling my primary dr. Not related to MS? Was she serious? MS can present in almost any way possible! The Internet has many articles about this restless leg feeling and MS! How could they dismiss it so quickly?

I'm not saying it definitely is MS, but if MS can cause someone (a close friend of mine) to have everything she eats taste like butter except apples then why can't this possibly be MS related?

Anyway, my primary dr is concerned. He wanted to add an extra appt. to his day today to get me in. The problem with that? I was working alone today until after the appt. time. So, after playing phone tag with his nurse I now have an appt. Wednesday morning at 8:15. I hope he has done ideas as to what is going on and how to help because I feel close to losing my mind.

If this is how drug addicts feel in withdrawal I can understand their willingness to do ANYTHING to score their next hit. I feel like I would do almost anything to get rid of this feeling.

Sorry for the vent/rant session, sometimes a girl just needs to get it out there and not just festering in my mind. Hope you can take it for what it is. A woman who is slowly losing her mind, is sleep deprived, and so frustrated with feeling like this.

Have a beautiful and pain free day.

No comments:

Post a Comment