Monday, August 6, 2012

What a week

So, I've been talking lately about going to camp for the week. Well, we went, and now we're home. So I thought I'd share what a wonderful week it was, and how amazingly well Will did there. Now that's not to say we didn't have some struggles, because we did. But overall it was so much more than I had ever hoped for.

Will brigs his wii, DS, laptop, and videos when we go to camp because that's how he spends his week. He stays in the camp and needs me to be there with him. He has developed a fear of all things creepy crawly. BUT, not this week! Yes, he spent a good amount of time in the camp with his electronics, but e also spent a large amount of time outside with the other kids for the first time EVER!!!

He went after the girls more than the boys, and I had to have a talk with the girls to educate them on ASD, but he was out there! They let him play! He also made another friend to play one on one with. And he's Wills age! What a week.

We went out to the ball field one night for a bonfire and s'mores. Will had 2 s'mores then wanted to leave until he saw all the kids playing on the far side of the field. He asked to play! So off he went and played for an hour with all the kids. Seriously, I can't get over this. Such a change this year.

I remember, the last few years I have not participated in anything at camp. This year I was able to go to the adult bible study for the first time ever, because Will went to his class and was able to be there AND participate without me sitting with him making sure he stayed safe. I was able to go to communion every morning, rehearsals for the musical (I had 5 solos - I haven't sung in years. Oh how I've missed it!), I went to song service (and led it 3 evenings) and I got to go to vespers at night! I did skip vespers one night because Will stated he missed me and hadn't spent enough time with me.

I had people around the Grove telling me how different Will seemed this year. So much happier, much more outgoing, and very helpful. He was a server for his junior youth group breakfast. He served me eggs and was so proud. He went to the Good Shepherd Food Bank and volunteered as well as many other acts of selflessness. He even calmly walked away when another little boy who was struggling kicked him. When an adult stepped in to talk to the other boy, Will walked away! How amazing!

We went swimming, we walked a labyrinth, we loved, we participated, and he even came to the show Friday night. I wasn't expecting him to stay for the entire thing. Sitting for 1 hour or more is extremely tough. I did give him my iPhone to take pictures with, he decided to video tape part of the show. When we walked in, he started telling EVERYONE that his mommy was in the show and she was undecided. (one of my solos has me as an undecided person who eventually decides to follow Jesus). When it was over he got up and started clapping and yelling "that's my mom! Wasn't she awesome?". Now I ask you, how amazing is that? This from the boy who tells me not to sing, and has ever since he could talk. I would start to sing a lullaby and he would say " no mumma, stop, just stop."

I am so blown away with the progress my son has made since he went to Spring Harbor. They gave us such a wonderful foundation. Will has worked so hard this year and it really shows. I feel truly blessed.

I just have to add: I knew we had made progress but when you live it day to day it's hard to see all the growth until you are thrown into a new situation. Have you had similar experiences where you are astounded by your child's growth?

No comments:

Post a Comment