Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Do I set my friends up to fail?

I have been doing a lot of soul searching lately. I have been struggling with many things for the last month: family, son struggling, ex/divorce, work, relationships, financial problems. Lots of things have had me spiraling out of control. Have I ever mentioned how much I like to be in control? I do, so having so little control over most aspects of my life has also been a huge source of anxiety.

While I have had a few friends show their love and concern on Facebook, I have felt very isolated and lonely on top of everything else. I keep coming back to a saying I read a while ago:

"One who holds your hand in your problems is a good friend, but the true friend is one who holds your hand more tightly when you tell them to leave you alone."

I have never been good at asking or accepting help. I find when I need it the most I pull away even harder. In my head I know this is crazy, I know I have been blessed with friends who would be there for me. But my heart demands that I protect myself from the disappointment of being let down by not asking.

I have come to realize over the last couple of days that subconsciously I am waiting for my friends to just know what I need and to hold my hand more tightly. In doing this I am setting my friends up to fail me. This in turn feeds the cycle of me not asking for what I need because I have been let down again. None of this is about my friends. They are some amazing people and they deserve the chance to be there for me, as I deserve the chance to be there for them.

This all comes back to me. This is about how I view myself and my worth. That is where I need to focus my time and energy so that I can trust in myself and my friends. The ones that let me down, that will be on them- but its not fair to assume it will happen before giving them the chance.

Do you ever have a hard time trusting in your self worth?



2 comments:

  1. Don't make me go all Rick Astley on you...

    Never gonna give you up
    Never gonna let you down
    Never gonna run around and desert you
    Never gonna make you cry
    Never gonna say goodbye
    Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never. Honestly, this is about me and how I view myself more than anything else, and as far as talking about friends. You were most certainly not someone I was speaking about in this post. You continue to support and inspire me more than anyone else. I truly love and value you and your friendship. Thank you

    ReplyDelete