Wednesday, September 19, 2012

School update

Will has had two very successful weeks at school. He has done so much better than I could have hoped. He has spent the majority of his time in his mainstream classroom. This is amazing considering he hasn't set foot in a mainstream classroom for over 2 years.

He is still doing ok, but I do know that he is struggling this week (pretty typical for him). He has been talking about hating himself again. We are not getting his notes from school so I am not entirely sure what is going on as far as how much time mainstreaming he is capable of doing this week.

My schedule was changed on Monday to cover a call out. Because of this, I was able to be home early enough to spend time with Will. There were lots of giggles and smiles. Made my night.
When it was time for bed, we did our bedtime routine: read for 20 minutes then Will shared his 3 happy thoughts.

1. I love you
2. I'm so tired that I should get some really good zzzz's
3. I got to meet Tony today (Tony is a new staff)

Then he immediately went into his bad thoughts. (he's never done this before). He shared that he hates himself and he had a hard time at school that day. This talk breaks my heart. After he shared this with me I made him tell me his happy thoughts again. I told him we were going to go to bed with happy thoughts so we would have happy dreams. His mood quickly turned around when I asked him what his first happy thought was and he told me he loved granny. I acted all upset and he kept repeating he loved granny. He got giggling and went to sleep in a happy mood. Mission accomplished. However he is still struggling at school (again, they aren't sending the notes home so we don't have the full picture, but they did write that he has been doing a lot of negative self talk this week and they are working on strategies for positive self thinking) and I'm hoping he can turn it around and use some coping strategies.

No comments:

Post a Comment