Wednesday, September 19, 2012

My grandmother

Yesterday was my grandmothers birthday. She was my everything growing up. She taught me how important family is, how to love, and how to laugh. She died 7&1/2 years ago and there isn't a day that goes by when I don't miss her.

We had a lot of silly and weird family traditions, such as on sleepovers she would set and throw mousetraps at our feet. Then we would reset and throw them at her (all at bedtime when e should be quieting down). Then there were the eggs and grapes she would randomly throw at us yelling "Think quick!". Or slap us with a piece of cheese. Yes, really, you can't make this stuff up! Then there were the silly songs, the hot fudge sundaes for supper, pretending to sleep when people would come to visit. Hiding any treats (such as the sundaes) in the bathtub so visitors didn't know what we were up to. Swimming in the pool- she always floated around on a tractor tire tube while we swam even though she couldn't swim and was terrified of the water. Helping her in the garden, and just sitting quietly or trying to make her laugh. Although my favorite was the applesauce drop.

What is the applesauce drop you ask? We would sit at the kitchen table, turn in our seat so we could lay our head in grams lap, she would put a towel around our neck, take a spoonful of applesauce and drop it into our mouths from a foot or more above our faces. Now, most of the time it landed in our eyes, up our noses, and anywhere but in our mouth. She would do this until we were breathless with laughter. (now, at the time we thought she just had terrible aim, but turns out she did it on purpose because it was just funnier getting it up our noses).

Well, I had to work all day yesterday, and doing any of those things would most likely get me written up or fired. So today is dedicated to gram. I have the mousetraps out, I am singing silly songs throughout the day, and Will and I are having hot fudge sundaes for supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment