Tuesday, September 4, 2012

First day of school

Today is the first day of fifth grade. I'm so excited for Will, and so very nervous too. I believe I've already talked about all the changes in his classroom. (he is in a contained classroom with the other children who struggle). There is a new head teacher in the room, all but one of the Ed techs in the room are different. There is a new social worker, the room is set up differently, the board for the "level system" which has been so very successful the last 2 years is gone. And last Friday I got the bus schedule. Will has been put back on the regular bus in the morning. (he has been on the small "special Ed" bus for the kiddos in his classroom for the last 2 years because the noise etc on the regular bus was way too much for him.) Don't get me wrong, this schedule works best for me, I'm just not so sure about Will, and it would have been nice if they had discussed this change before they implemented it. The communication from the school has been sorely lacking since the end of last year. Making me worry and giving me a sense of deja vu. (the first 3 years at this school was a battle, the school not doing what they should and lying, covering up and down playing. Sound familiar to all you parents of special needs? Just hoping they are not regressing!)

Will woke up VERY early again this morning. While getting ready this morning he put on his shorts backwards. Unfortunately they were jean shorts so I made him change because it was so noticeable. This started a mini meltdown. We regrouped fairly quickly and moved on.

It didn't help that when we first came downstairs and checked on the rescued bird it was alive and well, but an hour later had died. Will was not happy. He handled it better than I thought which was good, but we shall see if it affects his day. Although there are so many triggers today who really knows what might be the cause of a difficult day. Hopefully it is a wonderful day though.....

So it begins again....school starts and I start jumping when the phone rings because I expect it's the school telling me about the struggle of the moment. Or that he's so out of control I have to come pick him up. Now, I haven't had more than one call since he came home from Spring Harbor last march. I'm also terrified to look in "the notebook". Which will outline every struggle, but also highlights every achievement.

So, we will see how today goes and we will hope for the best. Good luck Will. Study hard, you'll need to if you want to be a veterinarian. I love you and I'm so proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment