Friday, January 25, 2013

Seeing growth

Most of the time it is hard to see the things right in front of your face. It's important to have input from others, or you might miss something important.

When we were approved for case management 2&1/2 years ago, and then got the BEST CM out there (I'm convinced!) she came over one day and asked "How long has Wills breathing been so loud?" It wasn't until that moment I actually heard my sons breathing. It was so loud and labored. He sounded like a Sleestak- anyone remember that show? That is all I heard! I realized that he would be asleep in his room with his door closed and I would be downstairs with the tv on and I could STILL hear him breathing!

We went through a battery of tests including sleep study and allergy testing. His breathing got better.....then our CM pointed out he has exceptionally small thumbs so we had genetic testing done. Nothing came of that, but now I see a short thumbed Sleestak when his breathing gets bad.

As far as his interactions with peers, I've heard good things, but not a lot. He also has no friends that come over to the house to play any more. So today came as quite the pleasant surprise. At my biweekly meeting with his social worker she told me that last week a classmate was struggling in the hallway, Will was there as well as some kindergarteners when this other child escalated and had to be removed. One of the little ones said a "bad word" (I'm told it wasn't a really bad word, more like damn or crap) and Will spoke very nicely to this kid and told them they shouldn't use that word. That it is an adult word, and even adults shouldn't use that word. Then he reiterated "so don't say that word, cause you will get in trouble and I don't want you to get in trouble." She also told me that the teachers have all remarked that Will is much more present in the halls and engaging with others around him. It's like he's a different child from even last year! Even I have seen some of this when I am going to a meeting at the school, he says hi to every teacher and every peer he knows when walking down the hall.

It's so wonderful when you open your eyes and can acknowledge the growth that was right there in front of your eyes all the time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment