Saturday, January 5, 2013

Mixed feelings

My divorce was final yesterday, I am so very happy it is done. Please, don't misunderstand, there is still sadness, no one ever gets married hoping for divorce. It is a hard and painful process for all involved. Our marriage wasn't a happy one for many years, he asked for the divorce for reasons I won't get into here....it doesn't matter anymore and I'm trying to move on, not live in the past. I have however had almost three years to gain some perspective, acceptance, and forgiveness. This was the right outcome no matter how we got here.

As I begin this new chapter in my life I have reminisced over the past. There were certainly some good times amidst the bad, but I couldn't help feel really sad (and thrilled) about today. Wills staff came over to work with Will, we had been prepping him for a few days that they would be spending part of the day outside to get some fresh air and exercise. We gave him the choice of finding a place to go sledding or building forts in the back yard. He chose forts. I have to say I was thrilled. Some of my best childhood memories are of my brother and I building snow forts and tunnels and then having snow ball fights. I hollowed out an area behind a snow bank on one side of the driveway and Will and his staff Tim did the same on their side. (Although they got fancy and made a tunnel too)

During this Will kept running in between the cars and throwing snowballs at me, he couldn't throw all the way across the double wide driveway (unfortunately I throw like a little girl and couldn't either). We had so much fun and we were laughing the while time. I had a moment of profound sadness though, this was the picture I always had in my head of Will, his dad and me playing in the snow, not with Wills staff. We don't always get everything we think we want or see for our children and ourselves. But you know what? Will is showing an interest in playing in the snow for the first time, he was laughing and smiling during a difficult period in his life. So what if it doesn't look like I had always hoped? He was happy, we shared and made a happy memory we can carry with us, he was outside and loving it. He even loved getting me in the face a couple times with the snowballs.

Things change, I have chosen to accept those changes with as much grace as possible, I'm sure I will still mourn those things that will never happen, but I will not become stuck by them. I will rejoice in the new opportunities that will come into my life because of these changes and know that I am ok. WE are ok. The possibilities are endless, and I have to believe that we have opened ourselves to even better experiences in the future.....























No comments:

Post a Comment