Saturday, June 23, 2012

Hard lessons to learn

So I have had a roller coaster of a couple of weeks. Work has been crazy, and very overwhelming. I've worked long hours to cover other staff, I have and have not been backed up by my superiors. I have had silly, frustrating, and down right discouraging arguments with my soon-to-be-ex. I have had wonderful and trying moments with my wonderful son Will.

I have gotten to see an old friend from high school and his 2 beautiful little boys. We had a wonderful time hanging here at the house, and going to the beach. (if you follow my other blog: emilysperspective@blogspot.com then you already know the exploits of the beach, my raccoon eyes, and my very painful sunburn to shoulders and upper back. If you don't, then you can check it out there)

My parents took Will for an overnight last night so that I could have an adult overnight of my own. It was so much appreciated. I have to say, I have met an amazing man. Last night we just hung out, he helped me cook dinner- when he's cooked for me he wasn't happy with the dinner, when I've cooked for him I wasn't happy. Last night we cooked together and I think it turned out perfect. He gave me a foot massage that felt amazing and watched a movie. Then went to bed.

My overnight was just what I needed. It's amazing what having a man who cares about you, and WANTS to take care of you will do for your overall emotional well-being. I mean here is a man who was more concerned with me and my wants/needs than his own. I have to admit- I love this, but it is a little scary too. I mean, I can't remember the last time someone treated me this well.

Now, I don't want any misunderstanding, my soon-to-be-ex wasn't/isn't a bad man. He has a lot of good qualities and can be caring in his own way, when he wants to be. Also, it takes 2 people to end a marriage and I know I played my part, some of which was that I pushed him away as the years went on. See? I've grown- I can admit to my past faults (I say past-cause now I'm perfect. lol)

So, what have I learned the last 2 weeks? Well, I've learned that at work I need to put up some clear boundaries so I am not taken advantage of anymore. I also need to hold my boss, and co-workers accountable for their responsibilities. With the ex I need to work on clear communication and clearly expressing my needs and expectations no matter what he says and how he tries to make me feel so I back down. Stand strong Emily!! Don't back down! Stand up for yourself and Will. I deserve to be heard, and respected without being taken advantage of. And as for the new man, I'm working on accepting help, letting someone be there for me who wants to do things to make my life easier. This one is the most challenging, I won't lie, but I'll keep working on it.

And from Will, as always I continue to learn patience, unconditional love, acceptance, and a list too long to finish. I have managed to take time out of my crazy schedule to spend some wonderful time with Will and just have fun and be.....

No comments:

Post a Comment